Saturday 28 November 2015

Kitty-A-Go-Go 60's Shift Dress



It's getting close to the end of the year and I'm only just getting around to fulfilling my Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge. To kick things off I've got a new stage outfit I made with my bandmate and fellow seamstress for our 60's garage group Catzilla. We used Simplicity 3833 which is a vintage reproduction of a 1960's shift dress.


This pattern was a breeze! I cut a size 10 which fit me straight out of the packet. All I had to do was shorten the skirt (a 60's go go dress can never be too short!) and the skirt was a bit too flared for my liking so I tweaked it a little at the side seams.


The bodice is made from fabric we bought in Japan some time ago and has cute little cat heads on it. Of course we then had to carry on with the cat theme and added giant cat head pockets to the skirt.


The cat fabric is actually a cream colour rather than white and the only matching fabric to be found was a linen which turned out fine but it does crease quite easily.


I'm really pleased with how this dress turned out, it was super easy to sew and I think the contrasting black and white panels worked a treat.

The full outfit as it should be worn - with it's matching other half
More vintage pledge pattern posts (try saying that really fast!) coming soon.

7 comments:

  1. You've done a wonderful job....SO MANY CATS! Cat pockets, cat fabric, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alecia, you can never have too many cats!

      Delete
  2. Arghh!! This is gorgeous!! I absolutely love the cat fabric, and the pockets. They are genius!! I've been thinking about making a shift dress, and the seam lines on this one are great, so now I'm off to google the pattern...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! Get it now - it's such an easy pattern and the seam lines are really flattering - always a bonus :) Can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  3. It's just brilliant! I love the cat pockets, and shortening the skirt was a good move. Looks amazing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so fun!

    ReplyDelete